« Home | Burung kerak nasi » | Texture, a commonly overlooked element » | Why use manual exposure? » | Orange and Black » | Photographing and zombifying » | Shutters Speeds and Apertures: What do the numbers... » | Voyeurism or window shopping? » | Air Asia » | ISO rating for Film Speed » | Graveyard greens »

I refuse to compromise...


_DSC4485-2, originally uploaded by shutterhack.
Taken with a Nikon D50 and Nikon AF-S Zoom-Nikkor ED 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G DX (kit-lens)

A friend of mine from a photography forum once said:

The late Richard Avedon comes to my mind as someone who was able to make a living as a commercial photographer and still be considered an artist. This would be the ideal situation to be in I would think but for most of us weekend warrior types we just have to be satisfied with making images that mean something to us even if it doesn't generate income or prestige.

I'm always told by friends and co-workers who see my work that I should become a pro. They never fail to look at me weird when I tell them I have no desire to do so. This is not because my day job is so exciting and fulfilling but because I simply like to shoot what I like to shoot, not what someone else wants me to shoot.

As a joke I tell people (while pounding my fist on whatever flat surface is within reach) "I refuse to compromise my artistic principles".

Labels: , , , ,