« Home | Syuhada & Nadia » | Achieving honesty and the essence of the person » | Playtime (DSC_0605) » | Azizan guest from Shah Alam (DSC_0245) » | Soh » | Burung Murai » | Cobra in the well » | Butterfly by the window (_DSC_0016) » | A group of mynah » | Groups of photographers »

KUSZA student


KUSZA student, originally uploaded by Fadzly Mubin.

Recently KUSZA or Kolej Agama Sultan Zainal Abidin now known as UDM (Universiti Darul Iman Malaysia) open up a new campus located right in the heart of Kuala Terengganu town. This girl is one of the student who goes to that university.

My opinion:

The choice of lens does not signify anything except for the fact that it is only an instrument to capture the moment, if using a tele lens has better chance of capturing the moment isolated from the background and if it improves the chance of being unnoticed then so be it... I use a 70-300 and a 18-55 and shoot from a distance or from close range... but it is true that a street photographer cannot afford to be shy or be afraid to confront or pacify his subject in situations.

I like to capture fleeting moments, candid portraits and this does not give me an option to introduce myself to my subjects with my visiting card before I take the shot... I believe that empathy for the subject - if important to the photographer - should show in his/her work... morality is a subjective issue, not an absolute one... I am not the one who can figure out whats on a person's mind if and as he knows that he is being photographed... did he like being photographed? Did he dislike but was too polite or shy to tell me that he didn't want to be photographed? Well... as long as I do not know, I assume implicit permission from my subject. If I wanted to find out explicitly I would be talking and not capturing the moments that I wanted to capture.

I wonder what would one do if he was required to obtain permission before he took the wonderful pictures showing the moods and moments of dogs. [this is not no imply that dogs are same or different from human beings as photographic subjects ;-) ].

As Elli Wallach said in the movie 'The Good Bad and the Ugly' - "When you shoot, you shoot, don't talk"...it was shooting of a different kind though but its principle applies to street photography as well.

Taken with a Pentax K100D and Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro lens

Labels: , , ,